Mariah Carey: Love Transits








I looked up Mariah Carey's major relationship with Tommy Mottala, the relationship she called controlling and one that inhibited freedom. The date for their meeting was in 1988, and in this year, she was undergoing three major transit squares to her natal Sun, from Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. Mariah has a natal Mars-Saturn conjunction in Taurus, the sign of possessions, self worth and security. With two challenging planets - Mars and Saturn, this represents an extremely challenging conjunction, and shows scars and anxiety around aggression, violence, sex and limitation. I remember she said her sex life was non-existent but that she certainly felt the control in her relationship with Tommy. In some women, this aspect can also try too hard to be sexy. The over controlling dominant figure lies within Mariah and she needs to face some of her own rigid control. Mariah is an Aries with Sun, Mercury, Venus and Chiron all in this potent sign. I think she identifies with her Martian energy and has sought independence, individuality and taking charge of her own life. I have no birth time for Mariah, and this is a let down, because I am a big fan of her music. I know she is a "Diva" at times and is portrayed that way.

The time she met Tommy and was embarking on a major career move, there was an internal and frustrating  transition happening (Saturn square Sun). It was now the time to prove her ability, and face criticism, which would leave most people feeling anxious. The aspect often describes a loss of self-confidence, and often there is a meeting with authority, bosses, managers. Astrologers warn this is not he best time to seek promotion, but she did get her contract (transiting Jupiter conjunct major dispositor Mars). Unfortunately, her long-term relationship with Tommy, did prove unsuccessful in the long run. With transiting Uranus square her Sun, there is a strong desire for independence and to rebel (she has the aspect natally). Transiting Neptune square Sun, shows she is uncertain around her direction in life, and she lacks objectivity at this time. It often brings profound disillusion, and she can be liable to deception by the men in her life, or self-deception. However, Neptune had passed her Sun (still in orb) but both Saturn and Uranus are travelling towards the Sun (male partner).

Mariah Carey married Tommy in 1993, and transiting Jupiter in Libra (relationships) opposed natal Sun in Aries (independence gone), relationship legalized (Jupiter). Transiting Saturn trined Jupiter and squared Neptune. Transiting Uranus was in EXACT square to Venus under her marriage. I think she wanted out before she got in!! However, transiting Neptune was also in EXACT square to Venus and so she was under Neptune's illusive, dreamy and confused nature when she tied the knot. Neptune longs for fusion and the fairytale and Uranus is quite separative and has a knee jerk reaction to commitment.

Mariah Carey was outspoken about her marriage to Tommy on the song  Side Effects . Mariah has said that she suffered living with control hungry Tommy for years. We all imagined she had the perfect Cinderella story, but it seems that after the veil was lifted she suffered years of hell.  A passage from America Magazine quotes " Tommy and Mariah married in 1993, in a ceremony modeled after the nuptials of Princess Diana and Prince Charles. "Yeah, everybody talks about that. But no one saw me on the honeymoon, running down the beach, miserable, crying and alone." Tommy Mottola was her first sexual partner. But their union was not fulfilling in that way. "My relationship with my husband was not a physical relationship. It just wasn't.... That relationship shaped who I am. It beyond shaped me. I still have nightmares about it. Even though I owned that house, the only thing I felt like I owned was my pocketbook. He (Tommy) didn't even know why I always had my bag with me. But in my mind I thought, 'If something jumps off...I'm ready.' I lived like that for a long time. I used to wish, hope and dream that someone would kidnap me."

Mariah Carey divorced Tommy under transiting Saturn conjunct Venus, a time of reexamination in Love and testing ones values. Under Saturn periods we have a sobering up quality, and her relationship happiness will have been frustrating. Romantic fulfillment can be more challenging at this time. Mariah also felt empowered too, for transiting Pluto trined her Sun, reflecting self-transformation, and shorter skirts with low cut tops!! Transiting Uranus made a lot of aspects this year, it squared Mars, Jupiter and Saturn and trined Uranus. Freedom and challenges to break out, but with some disruption.


No comments:

Post a Comment