An Apology

I just loaded up the front page of the blog and noticed that the ad at the top was for voting Yes on California's Proposition 8. I am actually strongly opposed to Prop 8, which would eliminate the right of same sex couples to marry in California and was dismayed to see the ad there at the top of the page. It points out one of the risks of using Google's Adsense ads: they are based on "keywords" in the content of the text on the page. Usually that works pretty well, but there is no guarantee that the advertisers who have bid on a particular keyword or keywords are advertising something you'd actually want associated with your site.

I've removed the ads, at least until I've figured out if this is fixable.

ETA: Now I'm seeing those ads on almost every web site using Adsense. I wonder if that's because I'm surfing from a California IP address.

No comments:

Post a Comment