The Phoenix Has Landed, or What to Wear to Mission Control

This post is a bit rambling, but what the hey, it's my blog.

I love space exploration, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that I watched the touchdown of the Phoenix lander on Mars this afternoon. Although, obviously, it wasn't the landing itself that was on TV - it was Mission Control watching the data come in. And as I was watching, I was really struck by their outfits.
Sure there's nothing original about blue polos with khaki slacks, and it does unfortunately make them look a bit like Best Buy employees, but it struck me that it's one of the few really gender-neutral outfits they could have chosen. Compare that to what I think of as the "traditional" Mission Control look:
While there are women's clothing options that are the equivalent of the suit and tie, they women would still appear different than the men in the room. I think there is something to be said for being able to blend in with the rest of your team.

Anyway, here's one of first images from the Arctic pole of Mars! (More images)
Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment